The only thing I ever want for my birthday is a good chocolate cake. However, for my birthday this year, I wanted to make five different flavoured cakes. During my recent travel to Mussoorie, I tried apple cinnamon pancake I have been in love with this combination ever since.
I wanted to try out a cake with the same combination for my birthday week. I was slightly sceptical as to how this would turn out, but like every experimental dish that I make this one is also tried, tested and approved by my mother – who is my biggest support and critic in all my baking and cooking.
Before I get into any more storytelling I want to share the recipe with you all and I hope you try it as this one works, and your guests will be asking for seconds – for sure!
Prep Time: 15 mins. Bake Time: 30-45 mins. Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup APF or Maida
- 1 & ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1 & 1/3 cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large apple peeled & diced
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 apple thinly sliced
- Chopped walnuts
- In a bowl, add the dry ingredients – whole wheat flour, Maida, baking powder, soda, sugar, salt, cinnamon powder and mix
- In another bowl add the wet ingredients – milk, oil, vanilla extract and mix well
- Add the wet mix to the dry ingredients bowl slowly and mix using the fold technique. Do not over mix
- Next add the chopped apple pieces to the batter and mix
- Grease a 6 or 8 inch pan well with butter/oil, line with baking paper and pour the prepared cake batter in it, tap it slightly so the batter is even
- Sprinkle the brown sugar on the batter in the pan, decorate with thinly sliced apples and the chopped walnuts
On the stove in a make-do oven:
- Preheat the make do oven and place it in low flame for 30-35 mins. Put in a toothpick or knife to see if it’s baked. Once it starts turning into a beautiful golden brown colour, keep an eye out as there is a chance for the sides to be overbaked and not so much in the middle.
In an oven:
- Preheat the oven and bake it at 180 degrees for 30-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
Allow the delicious apple cinnamon cake to cool down and then enjoy. You can also add top it off with some glaze (½ cup powdered sugar, ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract, 1 tablespoon milk) if you find it less sweet. They are perfect for birthdays, evening snacks and pair perfectly well with your afternoon tea/coffee.